Start learning this material nowGet Started
Reading, Writing, and Learning in ESL20 cards
Tagged as: education, english, esl, languageCopy deck
non-native English speakers who are learning English in school
limited English proficient (LEP), also: English Learners English language learners non-native English speakers second language learners
beginners to intermediates in English language
ESL/ESOL/ELD English as a Second Language/English for Speakers of Other Languages/English Language Development
refers to the acquisition of English as a non-native language
(1) Gather basic facts. (2) Gather info about prior school experiences. (3) Become aware of native culture and current home culture.
(1) Have them write an illustrated autobiography. (2) Use a dialog journal. (3) Begin the school year with units based on "getting to know you" themes.
the shared beliefs, values, and rule-governed patterns of behavior, including language, that define a group and are required for group membership
(1) what people know and believe (2) what people do (3) what people make and use
characterized by uniformity
the study of a culture using introspection, interviewing, observation, and participant observation
(1) cultural values affecting language (2) lack of "wait time" after asking a question (3) known-answer questions seem odd/dubious
questions used to assess student knowledge for which the teacher already knows the answer
(1) social organization of lessons (2) cultural differences in teaching practices
formats for social learning (whole-class, small-group, individualized)
instruction that considers multiple needs of diverse students
(1) through your district (2) through someone familiar with language/culture (3) interviewing the student
(1) illustrated biographies (2) interactive dialog journals (3) creating a world map where every student in the class marks their birthplace and connects it to their current city/school
the rules, values, and expectations in your teaching environment
Ready to start studying? Once you get going, we'll notify you when it is time to study next.